With the rising concern about environmental issues, most organizations are tending to shift towards green marketing. Green marketing, as a matter of fact, has been considered as one of the most influential marketing strategies of 2021.
Global warming, air pollution from harmful gases, and water pollution from industrial wastes are some of the major threats that the world is dealing with right now. Thus, professionals have come up with the idea of promoting green marketing as a step towards a better society.
This strategy has been developed to attract environmentally concerned customers and influence their buying decisions in accordance with their social responsibility.
What Exactly Is Green Marketing?
Green Marketing can be defined as the branding and marketing of products that do not pose any threat to our environment. In a basic sense, the promotion of eco-friendly products is what we can refer to as green marketing.
It can involve many aspects starting from offering environment-friendly products to adopting sustainable marketing practices. By highlighting the environmental benefits, companies try to sell their products and services to customers who want to invest their money in any way that is better for our world.
What Are The Benefits Of Green Marketing?
The concept of green marketing developed in the late 80s-90s when all these environmental issues started to come into notice. It is a very expensive form of marketing but is also highly profitable due to its demand in such an era.
However, such an initiative continues to benefit our society in every way possible. The organization promoting such practices also adds value to their own by:
- Spreading environmental concern
- Improving credibility
- Higher profit
- Allowance for innovation
- Long term growth
How Can Green Marketing Be Strategized?
As the world has been exposed to various degrading issues, it has also seen the development of certain alternatives to make it better. Green marketing is just a small part of such an alternative. Industry professionals across the world have spent their time researching and developing concepts and strategies.
These have been done so that it could help the company earn profits through the promotion of sustainable products, services, and activities. If you are in the business industry, it is very important and necessary that you must adopt such practices to change the world for the better while earning high profits. Here are some basic ideas that you can start with:
- Involvement of people in marketing campaigns.
- Recycling products and using renewable energy.
- Building partnerships with organizations driven towards green marketing.
- Sharing new information and innovative ideas on social media platforms.
Examples Of Green Marketing
Many of the top organizations in the world have adopted green marketing campaigns in order to promote the need for a better environment. With such sustainable core values that are socially valuable, these companies have made a huge impact among consumers across the world.
Such concepts have not only driven the organizations to better business results but have also educated people and contributed towards a better world.
I am sure you all are familiar with Starbucks. But do you know they are one of the very few organizations in the world that have been committed to the use of green marketing strategy? Whether it is their daily operations or relating to branding and promotion, Starbucks has never left any scope for not using eco-friendly measures:
- Usage of solar energy in their stores to reduce electrical consumption.
- Usage of green materials for production, packaging, and distribution.
- Usage of disposable materials to minimize carbon footprint.
- Encouraging people through social media platforms to plant trees and paint on the street walls.
- Planned to expand up to 10,000 environment-friendly stores by 2025.
IKEA is a furniture brand based in Sweden that has developed its own concept of green marketing strategy named ‘People and Planet Positive.’ They offer exclusive and affordable furniture through sustainable marketing policies. They use various plans and resources to manage waste and save energy which includes
- 90% of its stores avail solar energy through panels.
- Usage of wind energy through mills for electricity production.
- Plantation of millions of trees.
- Environment-friendly practices are used during the production process.
- Encouraging customers to be environmentally conscious.
3. Johnson & Johnson
As you all know, Johnson & Johnson is one of the most widely recognized brands of band-aids and baby products. Being environmentally concerned, they have taken on several initiatives to establish sustainable marketing. They have also continued to inspire many other companies through their eco-friendly practices:
- On-the-job training provided to employees for adopting green measures.
- Minimization of waste.
- Energy efficiency.
- Reduction of carbon emission by 20% every year.
Patagonia is a very popular American brand that develops and sells outdoor clothing. Their take on the green marketing campaign has been impeccable. The mission of the company states its active involvement in the Go Green Movement. Their contributions include:
- Eco-friendly practices for manufacturing products.
- A sincere passion for working towards climate change.
- Enormous donations made to uplift agricultural practices.
- Social support for protecting endangered species and restoring forests.
Here comes your most favorite chocolate brand, which has played a very important role in uplifting the green marketing movement. Hershey has converted their brand image to environmental consciousness being the main factor. The key strategies that have been adopted by Hershey involve:
- Has set eco-friendly standards in the industry.
- Has been ranked as one of the top 10 environmentally-conscious organizations.
- Aims to reduce greenhouse gases by 50% by 2025.
- Repurposed corporate products for charity efforts.
- Updating blogs about new innovations that can bring better changes to the world.
Why Is Green Marketing A Better Option?
If you want a long-term and high profitable business, it is advisable that you must make plans for the adoption of green marketing strategies. In an era where the generation is more environmentally concerned, the demand for eco-friendly products and services is sky-high.
There will be many organizations that will still be lagging behind in developing such concepts, and it is bound to give you a competitive edge over others. If there is no planet earth, there will be no us. And as the world is getting sick, it is our sole responsibility to contribute to its better health so that we and our future generations can live happily ever after.