As a business owner, you won’t need reminding of how important employee morale is and every employer would be looking for ways to raise the team spirit. Of course, praise should be given when warranted, which gives the worker the motivation to continue to outperform their colleagues. If you need a little inspiration on how to make your workforce feel appreciated, here are some effective strategies to boost employee morale and performance.
- Giving Recognition – If you have a monthly internal magazine, you should allocate one page to ‘special efforts’ that certain employees have given. A shoutout at the end of a meeting is another way to let people know you notice them, plus it ends the meeting on a positive note. You can be firm but fair and always remember to avoid negativity when communicating with your staff.
- Employee Of The Month – Most large companies operate an employee of the month award, which motivates all workers, as those that narrowly missed out this month will try harder next month to achieve top recognition. If you feel that you need to hone your communication skills, there is an expert business coaching in Sydney from a leading business coach with impressive credentials. You can also find one in your area if you are located Australia. All you have to do is do a quick search on Google.
- Email Appreciation – It only takes a couple of minutes to compose a short email thanking an employee for their exceptional performance. People perform better when they are appreciated by the boss and if you happen to be passing a worker in the corridor, telling them how much you value their input will boost morale and your employee will be motivated to carry on with the great work they produce.
- Bonus – Of course, hard cash is always well received and buying a gift brings with it a risk of choosing something unsuitable. Many successful direct selling managers drop a few thousand dollars onto the meeting table, telling the team that the money goes to the top seller this week. If the company is doing very well and profits are good, why not share with the people who made it happen? Most business owners do have a bonus system, which might be an annual payment and could be as much as 6 months’ salary.
- Promotion – If your employees are aware that a few position will shortly be available, the ambitious ones will do what they can to ensure they are chosen for the promotion. It is smart to promote from within, rather than bringing in new talent, although this is not always possible. You will no doubt be aware when an employee is trying to make a good impression and this is something to take note of, reminding that person that they might be considered for the new opening.
One of the best ways to boost your business is to invest in some business coaching, which focuses on you, rather than the business and we all have weak areas that could be improved. Think before you act regarding your employees and if someone is under-performing, let them know in a positive way, which will not damage their self-esteem.