The business industry lives on its own rules. The growing demands, great expectations from clients, and the complexity of industrial chains. All these induce manufacturers to find new and productive ways of spreading good. One of the ways to enhance productivity is to use digital transformation in the industry.
One of the most widespread ways of performing it is to use IoT. It is known as the Industrial Internet of Things. The idea of this system includes a number of smart detectors. They receive the necessary information and send it to a system. According to this, the company gets information about the production.
What are the steps of implementing IoT?
The key IoT use cases in manufacturing lead to the following consequences:
- It becomes possible to reduce expenses on production. Due to well-organized manufacturing and handling actives, the company produces more goods. It is connected with many things. It includes effective ways of using the equipment. It also deals with flexible use of resources and so on.
- A quicker bounce on the market. The idea here lies in the way of reducing the time. It is between the production of goods and the start of selling them. Companies need about a month from production to the market entrance. IoT helps reduce this period several times. It is so due to effective manufacturing ways and chains.
- Great customization. This feature leads to a great variety of goods produced by the company. At the same time, the company can produce many things with great numbers. It increases storage and provides a great variety of things. As a result, the company can sell more, and get more profit.
- Extra security levels. This is a new way of manufacturing. Many industrial corporations care about the working terms. They care about the health of the workers and potential risks. With the help of IoT, the process becomes easier. It is possible to control the health of workers during the day. Besides, it also reduces the number of dangers in manufacturing.
IoT use cases in manufacturing: the main spheres
Producing various goods is a complex chain of operation. Implementing IoT in manufacturing includes three main spheres:
- Manufacturing chains;
- Actives handling;
- Field service
Now we’ll pay much attention to all these spheres separately.
IoT is used here to control the power of production and process effectivity. Manufacturing chains include a lot of steps in production such as active handling, smart production, monitoring, and optimization of things. All these elements are put together to provide a total picture of manufacturing chains. According to this data, it is possible to understand how effective the product is. This process is really expensive. More than 50% of expenses in IoT are used for controlling manufacturing chains.
This position includes monitoring and watching actives. It means that the system controls all the possible parameters. It includes the quality of produced goods, how many resources were spent on it, potential losses, etc. It also deals with proactive service. It helps to concentrate on future actives. In other words, the system helps to forecast future expenses and profit.
This part is not connected with the manufacturing. This feature is important when goods appear on the market. With the help of IoT, it becomes possible to watch all the statistics. It includes the level of sold goods, various charts, the changes in prices and so on.
Pros and cons of using IoT system
Like many other new technologies, IoT use cases in manufacturing have their advantages and disadvantages. The pros of using it are the following:
- It brings us not only to a separate producer but the whole system. It is important both for sellers and buyers. It reduces expenses and saves time. These systems work faster than any other analogs. Besides, it takes less energy than any other way of controlling manufacturing.
- It is used for patient monitoring. It is especially important during a pandemic. The sensors are put on the patients’ bodies to control a general state. So, the doctors have all the important information about the patient treatment and state.
- The system is used for providing home security. Traditionally it can be security cameras, different sensors, lockers, and so on. They can be managed locally or with remote control by means of special apps.
- It is also used for handling storage, energy effectiveness, delivery, etc.
The main cons of the technology are:
- IoT is running with the help of several technologies. Due to this fact, the security level arises many questions. Certain algorithms and measures help to avoid unexpected attacks from the global network.
- IoT is a rather complex system. It simply means that technologies include various types of architecture. In case of bugs, the system needs quite much time to start working properly again.
- Another reason for the IoT problem is connected with the consequences of its usage. It leads to decrease of working places. The system can replace inexperienced and unskilled workers.
- Before starting to use the system, it is necessary to perform several tests. It is to check the compatibility of all the elements. It requires much time as usual.
- Time is a key point in it. If you want the system working properly, it will need much time. IoT is using new standards, so it needs time to adjust.
Similar Reads: IoT SIM Cards: All You Need To Know
In fact, there are lots of ways of using IoT in manufacturing. The system is not limited only to producing things. It is also connected with the effectiveness, reducing expenses, and delivery service. According to the statistics, companies that use IoT have more profit, on the one hand. On the other hand, such a complex system needs much investment. It will not work for free. Though it seems to be working automatically, it is necessary to be set correctly.
Nevertheless, IoT provides better services for companies. It is a technology of the future. Lots of manufacturers, using IOT state that they can reduce expenses. They can also optimize the manufacturing process. It is a good solution both for small companies and big corporations. The only problem is it is not free.